MALAYSIAN CHICKEN CURRY
My photographer, Joyce, gave me this recipe from her mum in Malaysia. If you like curry, you will love this dish. Baba Curry Powder is available at any major Asian supermarket.
1. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and set aside.
2. Place garlic, shallots and chillies in a food processor and blend into a fine texture. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a high heat and fry mixture for approximately 5 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add chicken to saucepan and fry for approximately 4 to 6 minutes. Add curry powder and continue stirring until chicken is evenly coated.
4. Add potatoes and stir for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add coconut cream and water and bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are cooked.
6. Add salt and soy sauce to taste. Garnish with coriander and fresh chilli. Serve with rice or bread.
For those who enjoy spicy food, extra chillies can be added to the blended mix.
If you prefer, chicken can be substituted for red meat.
800g chicken thigh fillets
1 bulb garlic, peeled
2 large shallots
5 large red chillies
4 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons Baba Curry Powder
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
250ml coconut cream or milk
Coriander and fresh chilli to garnish